Station 13: Museum - Synagogue - Eurocentrum

The thirteenth and final stop on the walk takes us to the town centre, which has undergone considerable change in recent years.

You find yourself now in the spot where a synagogue stood between 1892 and 1938, built in the Moorish style with elements of Art Nouveau. The work of Wilhelm Stiassny was set on fire during Crystal Night, but has been commemorated since 1993 with a symbolic memorial of the Holocaust, created by Oldřich Plíva.

The Zimmer & Schmidt export house, designed and built by Emilian Herbig, was built adjacent to it in 1903 and 1904. This building has been home to the Museum of Glass and Jewellery since 1949. This listed building underwent complete renovation between 2000 and 2004, the futuristic annexe in the shape of a glass crystal being added between 2018 and 2020 in line with the designs of the Hlaváček Studio. This investment also saw the revitalisation of the adjacent park. The museum here, now run by the state and the only one of its kind in the world, has three exhibitions for visitors to enjoy: fashion jewellery, glass, and Christmas ornaments. 

One significant change to the town centre came in the first ten years of the 21st century with the building of the Eurocentrum complex on the site of the former exhibition grounds, where renowned international fashion jewellery and glass fairs were held from the 1960s onward. This was joined by a new Business Cooperation Centre and followed by the reconstruction of another pavilion and the amphitheatre.

The surrounding streets have been undergoing general reconstruction since 2005, the pedestrian zone was extended and Dolní náměstí (Lower Square), formerly used mainly for public transport purposes, has been transformed entirely. The original surface was replaced with paving stones, more greenery was added and a was fountain installed, designed by student at the local school of applied arts Šárka Kunclová. 

European Union funds were used to finance part of the modern transformation.