Station 12: The Kokonínská street

After passing through the forest we have come to a rise on the edge of the town. At this point we have crossed the border of the cadastre of Vrkoslavice and Jablonec nad Nisou. The Kokonínská street steeply falls down to the Nisa river valley. It is one of the steepest Jablonec streets.

Right below we may see the tower of the Church of St. Ann, the oldest historical building in Jablonec. Leading from all directions to the church, the centre of the village at that time, were old trade routes. One of them passed also through these places.

The period of the first settlement of the Nisa river basin cannot be exactly specified. The first written reference to Jablonec dates back to 1356. A thirteen-year later record mentions Jablonec as a “poor” town which does not pay tax. With the beginning of the Hussite wars (1419) Jablonec disappeared for fifty years from the written sources. In the turbulent period of the Thirty-Year War the town was again burnt to the ground.

A rapid development of Jablonec started as late as in the second half of 17th century. In the first decade of 18th century the manorial nobility even attempted at obtaining the status of a township for Jablonec, at that time still unsuccessfully. This status was granted to Jablonec one hundred years later, in 1808. By promotion to a town, Jablonec got the right to hold weekly and two semi-annual markets.

For this purpose a marketplace was founded here which became the basis of the future Mírové square. It was a significant milestone in the history of Jablonec as the foundation of the “Old Market” was the basis for the future character and shape of the settlement. In 1866, Jablonec was awarded the status of a city and 40 years later it was renamed to Jablonec nad Nisou.

The view of the city from where we are standing is partially shaded by the local housing. To the left we can see the Prosečský ridge and in front of us the woody Harcovský ridge is rising. If we descend a bit we will have a much broader view of the city. The periphery of the town used to be lined mostly by villas. In the seventies and eighties there was an extensive construction of prefab residential houses partly on vacant plots but often they replaced the original housing.

Photogallery - Station 12

Map

 

The Kokonínská Street

 

The Kokonínská Street

 
 
Created 22.6.2006 14:29:41 | read 15947x | Petr Vitvar